Captain Jayson Self
When the Selfs weren’t plying the waters of the Emerald Coast for their favorite quarry, they’d take destination-fishing excursions to places such as Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. On these trips Captain Jayson added several exotic billfish to his credit, including catching his first blue marlin at the age of 5 years old! As his High school years wound down, Jayson earned a 2nd mate position aboard one of Destin’s finest tournament fishing boats, the 62’ G&S ‘Mollie”. Over the next two years, Jayson experienced some of the most intense tournament fishing the Gulf has to offer, as well as galvanized the fundamentals every Destin fisherman comes to know and love while fishing these waters.
After a two-year tenure on with the ‘Mollie’ fishing team, Jayson amicably parted ways and fished with private fishing teams as a swing-mate, or fill in, while also freelancing on charter boats. It was during this time that Jayson also gained a smorgasbord of experience aboard every type of vessel Destin has to offer, from snorkel boats to high speed dolphin cruises, as well as commercial fishing. This time allowed Captain Self to add a variety of skills and techniques to his repertoire while simultaneously preparing him to easily qualify for Captain’s School and the rigorous Coast Guard testing that follows.
In 2015, Captain Jayson was able to realize the family dream of owning his own charter fishing boat and once again make a living fishing full time. Captain Jayson introduced the ‘King of Kings’ in spring of 2016 as his re-entrance into the Destin Charter Fleet and for the next three years would collaborate with Boggy Bayou Guide Service to run the King of Kings. As of 2020, Captain Self and his wife have ventured out on their own with a new boat, and are now running the waters of Destin as King of Kings Charters, exclusively.
Just like the old times, fishing is once again a family affair in the Self home. While Captain Self’s father is no longer with us, he still lives in spirit through the way the family business is operated on a daily basis. Captain Self is proud to say that he daily lives with a “never give up” attitude and wakes up every morning ready to chase his dreams, and does it all with a love for Jesus Christ, who died for our sins! The boat “King of Kings” is a living memorial to Mr. Jay Self, and the values he instilled in his son.
When he’s not on the water, Captain Self enjoys, hunting, reading, listening to music, hanging out with his wife, and a good old-fashioned pick-up basketball game. He graduated from Rocky Bayou Christian School and attended Okaloosa Walton Community College. He and his wife are also members in good standing at Immanuel Anglican Church in Destin, Florida.
· 1987 Harbor Dock Blue Marlin Shootout – 2nd place over all, blue marlin 230.6 lbs
· 1989 Destin Shark Tournament Jr Angler – 1st place, bull shark 361 lbs
· 1990 Destin Cobia Tournament Junior Angler – 1st place, cobia 70 lbs
· 1991 Destin Shark Tournament Jr Angler – 1st place, bull shark 388 lbs
· 1996 Cobia World Championship – Junior Jig Casting Champion
· 1996 Bay Point Invitational Billfish Tournament – 3rd place dolphin, 42 lbs
· 1997 Pensacola Billfish Tournament – 2nd place, blue marlin 340 lbs?
· 1997 Bay Point Invitational Billfish Tournament – 3rd place dolphin, 43 lbs
· 2005 Destin Shark Tournament – 1st place overall, tiger shark 765.6 lbs
· 2016 Destin Fishing Rodeo – 1st place shark, bull shark 177.1 lbs
· 2016 Destin Fishing Rodeo – 1st place tuna, yellowfin 177.6 lbs